Written Exams over Academic Material
M&D students are required to take three one-hour academic written exams. Each student will choose three topics from the following menu. The book titles listed with each title are suggested study materials.
- R. C. Hibeler, Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics, 13th ed.
- System Dynamics and Controls
- D.C. Karnopp, D.L. Margolis, and R.C. Rosenberg, System Dynamics, 5th ed.
- B. R. Munson, D. F. Young, T. H. Okiishi, and W. W. Huebsch, Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics
- T. L. Bergman, A. S. Lavine, F. P. Incropera, and D. P. DeWitt, Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer
- M. J. Moran, H. N. Shapiro, D. D. Boettner, and M. B. Bailey, Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics
- Design Methodology
- K. Otto and K. Wood, Product Design: Techniques in Reverse Engineering and New Product Development
- Manufacturing Processes
- S. Kalpakjian and S. Schmid, Manufacturing Engineering and Technology
- Engineering Education
- A. Johri and B. M. Olds, Cambridge Handbook of Engineering Education Research
- G. P. Wiggins and J. McTighe Understanding by Design
- S. A. Ambrose, M. W. Bridges, M. DiPietro, M. C. Lovett, and M. K. Norman, How Learning Works: Seven Research-Based Principles for Smart Teaching
- Machine Elements
- R. L. Norton, Machine Design: An Integrated Approach
Exams are closed-book, closed-notes exams. All materials needed to complete the exam (equations, tables of data, etc.) will be provided with the exam. Students may use calculators approved by the exam proctor. Exams will be administered before the beginning of classes in long semesters.
Oral Exams over Academic Material
Within two weeks of the administration of the written exams, the student will meet with a committee of three M&D faculty for a one hour oral examination. The student will be examined over the same three topic areas chosen for the written exams.
Results of Exams
After completion of all exams, M&D faculty will meet to discuss each student's performance for a final determination. The results of this meeting will be reported to the students immediately after the meeting.
Students must register their intent to take the exams with the Area Coordinator (currently Dr. Richard Crawford, email@example.com) by the end of the previous semester. Students should provide the name of their advisor and list the three exams they wish to take.